“Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." - Cyril Connolly

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Easy Lasagna

Since my dear hubby wanted lasagna this week, I added it to a the menu.  I didn't find a pin I liked, so I took a couple of recipes I had to made my own. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the finished result, but it was yummy and looked oh so good.

First I gathered my ingredients:


  • One box of Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodle (no boil). I truly only used about 6 because I used an 8x8 glass dish.  Use a 9x13 to make it a little "thinner".
  • 15oz. Ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
  • 1 jar of Spaghetti sauce- I used Ragu meat flavored because that was what was in my pantry. 
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
First, I browned my meat with a little minced garlic.  Now, we use the jarred kind.  Yeah, yeah, I know it doesn't have the flavor, but that is what what we use. 

When that finished, I just ladled off the fat.  It was a very small amount due to the quality of the beef. (P.S. I got it at The Fresh Market on its Tuesday special; $2.99lb) 

Then I mixed the following together: Ricotta, Mozzarella, grated Parm, and dried onion.  I love onions; my family does not.  These minced onions are small enough that they don't notice them, but I get the flavor.   It looked very crumbly, but that is ok.


After that, I started assembling my lasagna.  Now, we are a family of five, but my two youngest as super picky, and my family almost refuses to eat leftovers, so I try to fix just enough. you can make it go further by adding a another jar of sauce.I added a little sauce to the bottom of the dish, then placed my two noodles,  If you used a 9x13, you would need three.  They expand during cooking so don't worry if they don't seem to fit.



Then I added my cheese mixture.


Followed by the ground beef


And some shredded cheese


I used some Kraft Italian cheese.  I was in the fridge.





I continued to layer into the top which was two layers of noodles, sauce and cheese.  I very top layer was the cheese mixture. I covered it in aluminum foil and cooked for about 30 minutes.

I fixed a little garlic bread to go with it, and hubby was very happy.

-Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment