“Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." - Cyril Connolly

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Much Needed Break

Contrary to what some people may believe, I don't really get that much of a break.

My life is pretty routine: 6:30AM wake up call, get the kids fed, dressed, and out the door (dear hubby drives them to school- he works there), eat something, maybe do a workout from Hulu, try to get in a little me time before Tucker wakes up.

Once Tucker wakes up it is trial and error in trying to figure out what the boy will eat because he won't talk. Then after I get him to eat a bowl of cereal, he spends every waking minute trying to get candy. He's sneaky, too.  He will get me distracted then he goes and finds a way to climb on top of the counter to reach the candy bowl. Moving it doesn't help, he just looks for it. And don't let him watch me throw it away, he has been known to knock over the trash can to dig one out to eat. You know the saying "one track mind"?  Well that it Tuck when it comes to candy. I must say NO a hundred times a day.

So Tuck is up and fed, now I get to do the dishes, wash about four loads of clothes (because my family changes clothes about three times a day except for the boys who stay half naked throughout the day), straighten the living room, clean the bathrooms, put up the four loads of clothes and I need to do all of this before 1:30. Somewhere in there in have to remember to eat and oh yeah, I have got to feed Tuck who still refuses to give up on his candy pursuit.

After 1:30, I then have to get ready to get the kids. Sometimes I have to drop off Tuck at the in-laws because Judson has gymnastics. Sometimes, DH gets to bring them home from school, too, but lately he goes to the gym. Other days Mel has piano, or soccer practice in the fall. On top of school activities, random subbing for teachers, room mom responsibilities, MOPS leadership responsibilities and actual MOPS meetings, going to church (usually one church on Sundays and another on Wednesday), we try to find time to eat together before bedtime.

This is also coupled with my older two children arguing and fussing and tattling and aggrevating and crying and whining and everything else 8 and 5 year-olds do.

So, when I had the chance to get away for a few days, I jumped at the chance. Now you have to understand, I cannot remember a time in the past two years that DH and I have been away together without the kids. He gets time away due to his band director duties, but I really can't think of a time when I haven't been at night with at least one of my children.

Proud to say I am in Savannah. I am getting to walk up and down the Spanish moss lined streets. 

I am sleeping in a bed that looks like this.

I am window shopping in every shop.

I am eating local cuisine.

And tonight when we came back to the hotel we had chocolates on our bed. (I ate one before I took the picture.)

This is such a needed break. I am enjoying every minute.

5 comments:

  1. I am SO glad for you that you're getting this break! Savannah is a beautiful city and I hope you enjoy every single minute of it.

    PS. Do you like coffee? And if you have, have you discovered Gallery Espresso yet, because I love it. It's on one of the squares. I think Chippewa Square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time away. Savannah is one of the places I really want to go. Found you through Bloggy Moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope you get to do one day. I absolutely love it. So much to do.

      Delete
  3. Hi Carol,
    I found your blog today through Faithful Bloggers. My kids are now school agers,which has new challenges, but I remember those days of candy tantrums. When I felt frustrated with my crying two year old who would not stay in his bed, I thought this must be the way God sometimes sees me, stubbornly refusing to do what I should do, one track mind for what I want, even when He's telling me "no" a hundred times. What a blessing He gives us to allow us to be parents and see things from His perspective.
    Jolie Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. I have often thought about that, too. How I often plead and beg despite the answer God had given me.

      Thanks for finding me.

      Delete